Sample photo taken with the 50mm 1.8 - at f4 I think..
The 50mm 1.8 is an excellent lens. Its small, light, and quite sharp. At around $80 (10k here via agent) it’s also quite a bargain.
- Sharp,accurate color, focuses OK in low light (at least compared to the 18-55 IS)
- Comparatively cheap - this may be the cheapest lens Canon makes.
- Fast (1.8 max aperture) so good for freezing motion, especially in low light
- Small/Light weight - means its easy to carry and does not add much size/weight to the camera
- Useful length - 50mm (or 80mm approx equiv in a 1.6x camera) is a reasonably usesful focal length.
- Autofocus is a bit slow and buzzy (somewhat louder)
- OOF (out of focus areas)/bokeh is not that good - however in carefully controlled circumstances it can take decent photos.
Add comment February 14th, 2009